Certifying Yoga Therapists
We expect applications for certification to be ready in mid to late 2016. When we are ready, IAYT will accept applications for certification from IAYT members who are either graduates of IAYT accredited yoga therapists training programs, or eligible for grandparenting. The IAYT Eligibility Pathways Chart (Draft May 2015) provides an overview of your options for becoming certified. You can also read more about the Grandparenting Pathways here.
There are a number of things yoga therapists can do now in preparation for applying for certification.
- Become an IAYT member, if you're not already a member. All applicants must be current IAYT members AND new information is released to members as it becomes available.
- Educate yourself about IAYT's self-regulatory efforts of our emerging profession, which include the development of educational standards for the training of yoga therapists, accreditation of yoga therapist training programs that meet those standards, and ultimately the certification of individual yoga therapists. See below for a list of resources.
- Find out which yoga therapist training programs have achieved IAYT accreditation, and examine the structure of these programs and how they meet IAYT Educational Standards for the Training of Yoga Therapists. Check the list of approved programs regularly for an up-to-date list, and inquire with individual schools as to whether they have applied for IAYT accreditation or plan to do so.
- Begin, if you haven't already, to document your yoga therapist education, training, and experience. Be as specific as possible, including education/training dates, education/training locations, and education/training outcomes - for example, diploma, certificate. For those of you who have attended formal yoga therapist training programs prior to IAYT Accreditation, be sure you have a detailed syllabus of your program. Keep specific records of your clinical experience as a yoga therapist and as an educator of yoga therapists. More details of the requirements and evidence can be found in the Eligibility Chart (draft) and the Grandparenting Pathways 1 (Formal Education plus Clinical Experience) and 2 (Seasoned Yoga Therapist) documents (draft). As these are finalized they will be communicated, so please check the website regularly, and our publications and make sure your IAYT membership is current.
- See the Latest News from May 4, 2015 and provide feedback on the Guidelines through the survey link there. (We cannot answer questions about individual situations.)
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES ABOUT ACCREDITATION AND CERTIFICATION