IAYT Approved Professional Development
Continuing Education for C-IAYTs
The mission of IAYT is to establish yoga as a recognized and respected therapy. Achieving this is built on the three pillars of Educational Standards, Accredited Yoga Therapy Training Programs, and IAYT Certification of individual yoga therapists (C-IAYT). IAYT certification represents demonstrated core competencies within a Yoga Therapy professional practice and requires continuing education to maintain and continually advance this level of competency and professional growth.
The Approved Professional Development (APD) program supports C-IAYT Continuing Education (CE). A goal of the APD Program is to be a source for yoga therapists to search for opportunities for additional training to maintain their core competencies and advance their professional growth. The APD Program provides an avenue to earn continuing education hours in recognized programs that are pre-approved to meet the requirements of C-IAYT renewal.* IAYT members and member schools who list APD Courses on the IAYT website gain visibility and direct access to both the growing population of IAYT Certified Yoga Therapists as well as other IAYT members seeking yoga therapy professional development opportunities.
ALL APD courses must have the following components:
Additional requirements for each course:
- An evaluation of the student's comprehension of the course content
- Between 1-100 hours of educational content in one of three delivery formats: Live (In-Person), Live (Online) and/or Pre-Recorded. (Breaks, meals, and homework may not be included in hours.)
- Points of contact for course enrollees for technical questions and for content questions
To offer APD courses you must:
- Be a current IAYT member [Join now if you are not already a member]
- Register as an APD Provider
- Review the APD Application Materials
- Submit one or more courses for APD designation (To view current APD courses click here)
BEFORE registering, go the Application Materials page and review the guidelines, required policies, provider and course application instructions, and other supporting materials.
Membership in IAYT is open to yoga practitioners, yoga teachers, yoga therapists, health care practitioners who use yoga in their practice, and yoga researchers. If you are already a member of IAYT, thank you for your support of your profession. If you are not yet a member, please consider joining your colleagues!
You will receive regular updates on IAYT activities and other membership benefits.
* Under the current C-IAYT renewal requirements a course does not have to be designated APD in order to be used for IAYT CE requirements, as long as it addresses one or more of the IAYT competencies. APD Courses are easier to claim in the CE process because they have been pre-approved. Eventually APD courses will be required for renewal of C-IAYT.