The following summarizes the conditions under which you may qualify for IAYT Certification through the Portfolio Review and Evaluation (PR&E) Process. Full details are in the Application Resources which includes a PR&E Guide, Appendices with samples of all application materials, and downloadable forms to submit with your application. You must review the Application Resources prior to applying.
The PR&E process is intended to facilitate certification for candidates who:
- have significant yoga therapy education and extensive yoga therapy practice experience
- are actively engaged in the field of yoga therapy
- are not students in an accredited program, and
- qualify under a rigorous system for certification
The educational standards for completion of an IAYT accredited program represent the profile of a well-trained generalist yoga therapist. Successful applicants for certification through PR&E will meet or exceed these requirements. It is not uncommon in the process of a profession's maturation to maintain a narrow pathway to certification for alternate education and experience
You must meet the criteria below to qualify through PR&E.
- You have completed at least 200 hours of yoga teacher training AND
- You have completed at least 650 hours of yoga therapy education that started at least 5 years prior to date of application AND
- You have at least 20 hours of mentored practice as a yoga therapist-in-training and/or yoga therapist AND
- You have at least 200 hours of active engagement in the field of yoga therapy over the past 2 years AND
- You have at least 400 additional hours specifically of client contact practice as a yoga therapist in addition to the 200 hours above.
Note: Yoga therapists recognized by Yoga Australia or the Australasian Association of Yoga Therapists (AAYT) use Contact Us for information on requirements and registration specific to these organizations.
The opportunity to apply through PR&E will occur in intermittent windows of application. The concurrent development of the IAYT Certification Exam is expected to be complete in 2021 and will be part of the PR&E process once available. Applications will be accepted from August 12 to December 12 2020. The next window will occur after January 2021.
If you have questions about whether your experience and education meets the eligibility criteria, use Contact Us on our website to reach the Certification Team. Questions will be answered by email only for consistent messaging.